4.11.2009

I was wrong.

When we cook together, I spend most of my time confused.  You talk so much shit about cooking well, and wanting your own place someday.  The lifestyle that cooking affords you seems like it was taylor made just for you.  You can throw down on the biggest nights, and most of the time your food looks and tastes perfect. 

But maybe I have been wrong about you all this time.

For the longest time I thought that you just needed some work.  Special attention.  I thought that maybe making a personal connection with you would help motivate you.  We were friendly with each other.  I looked at you and saw promise and potential and talent.  A person on the verge of something great.

Then things started to turn.  Your focus started to dull faster than your neglected knives.  I realized a few things about you:  You don't read about cooking.  You don't eat out.  You have almost no idea what's going on around town, much less New York, or Chicago, or the world.  And when I try to relay info to you about these things you act like you couldn't care less.

So I have to admit that I have a hard time understanding how you plan to make a go of it in this industry.  Did you ever consider that maybe there is a finite amount of talent in the world?  And that maybe, just maybe you got a lesser share of that talent?  Did you ever consider that maybe you're just too stupid, or lazy, or average to make it all come together?

Look at your chef.  He never takes time to himself.  He can cook anyone on your line under the table.  And his menu ideas make yours look like they were lifted from an old issue of Food & Wine.  He never complains.  And he's tried to get your back, and motivate you, and shape you.  You've only ever given him disdain, and excuses.  The thing is, you could probably go out on your own, get a chef's job, make more money...but wouldn't it nag at you?  To know you went about it the wrong way?  Wouldn't it keep you up at night knowing that you were being average?  A perfect C in a city filled with 4.0 gpa's? 

Does a person have to just come to terms with the idea that they may never be great?  Or is that just giving up?  Are you going to look back on all this and think you were wasting your time?  I have a hard time understanding why someone would go through all the pain and stress and hard work of cooking only to just barely give enough.  I have a hard time watching potential being wasted.  Are you really as average as you act?



Notes:
  • I hate sweetchuck
  • To anyone that's been waiting patiently for this update thanks
  • That torta isn't looking at me, she's looking at Ponder
  • DQ loves BJ
  • Meeting Lote Thistlethwaite was awesome.  He gave us booze
  • Violet gave us (sexy) books
  • If you cook, and you order your burger MW, we need to have a chat
  • According to Corey, worlds are colliding
  • Fry Flecks are the french fry equivalent of Dippin' Dots
  • I'm not a violent person, but I wanted to punch that sous chef in the nose
  • Reality cooking shows need to go somewhere far away
  • Maybe enigma is the wrong word
  • Free POM is kinda awesome
  • Preeminent Ironist.  Google search that shit.  Or explain it to me


quotes and conversations

Merrell:  I don't want to say I make the best potatoes, but I kinda do.
Me:  Is that what you want?  The potato crown?  Because you can have it.  Maritess, tell Merrell she makes the best potatoes.
Maritess:  You make the best potatoes.
Merrell:  I hate you.

Me:  I listened to DRI on the way to work today.
Corey:  I listened to Rod Stewart.

Amy:  I used to know this girl that was really into gang bangs at the power exchange.
Me:  I don't understand how you get really into gang bangs.
Amy:  Well you can.  You can really get into anything.

"It's a lose-lose if i'm boning down with Paulie."
-Merrell

Corey:  Hey Merrell, what's your new nickname?
Merrell:  DQ.  Dairy Queen.
Corey:  How come?  You got poops goin on or somethin?

"It's like our periods are in sync."
-Ponder

Me:  She kinda looks like a muppet.
Mongoose:  Yeah.  Muppets are cool though.

Merrell:  I don't like it when you shaolin finger me.
Me:  God, when you say it like that it sounds dirty.
Merrell:  Yeah, I realized that as soon as it came out. 

"I just make pizzas and burn bread."
-Mongoose

"Mrs. Doubtfire is the reason I hate Robin Williams.  And I don't care if that fucker dies."
-Corey

"Doesn't listerine work?  And whiskey?"
-Eddie

Amy:  Seriously?  You're about to have a kid and you just spent a shit ton of money on a tv?
Corey:  Yeah dude, that's how I roll.

"Sarah and Meredith gang banged that chocolate cake the other night.  I felt like I was watching a threesome.  But I was on the outside, and the cake was the third person."
-Ponder

Me:  Hey Eddie?  When you have to do 30 to 40 cumshots a night does it wear you out?
Eddie:  Of course.  I'm not Mongoose.




from top:  squab, dinner, leg of lamb, tagliatelle, ricotta salata, ribs, artichokes, agretti, beets, pig butchery, stock, line-up, ras el hanout, porchetta, walk-in, slayer, the boys, ann's soup, asparagus, halibut, london broil, goose, no cumshots, mr fabulous, april fools, april fools tweets, jeff's response



5 comments:

Not The Rockefellers said...

"Does a person have to just come to terms with the idea that they may never be great?"

Yeah, they do. And hopefully not on American Idol.

Peace - Rene

Sarah said...

Dear tortas,
Ponder is taken.
Best,
Speez
p.s. Don't fuck with me when I'm eating chocolate cake!

Chris said...

I'm not in the business but I like getting a professionals perspective on said business.
It's eyeopening. Keep it up.

Sarah said...

dig your kitchen commentary
PLUS
your pictures are super colorful this time...
love it!

-s

Victoria said...

"Does a person have to just come to terms with the idea that they may never be great?"

Hmmm.... Amy (yes, the fabulous Ms. Brown herself) and I were talking about this two weeks ago-- well, we were talking about the mindset for great work. Is it that someone may never be great or is it that they don't (yet) have this mindset? Becoming great at anything (cooking, writing, teaching, art) has a lot of boring moments-- Amy was talking about baking bread and doing the same thing over and over. What stops someone from developing the curiosity of "how do I make this thing that I have done 3,000 times before better?" The more interesting question (to me) is how/can this mindset be encouraged and developed in people? Is this a "you have it or you don't" or something that an environment (work, classroom, etc) can help develop?